Businesses with 20 or more employees must, by law, register with the Employee’s Provident Fund Organization, consistent with the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act of 1952. Employees must contribute 12% of their base income to the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) plan.
Employers provide every member of Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) with a 12-digit number called a Universal Account Number (UAN) to ensure workers can easily access and manage their EPF accounts. When workers switch employers, their member identification numbers (Member ID) may change, but their UAN stays the same. The steps for activating the UAN number are delineated.
Table of Contents
What is a UAN?
Every employee who contributes to EPF receives a 12-digit account number known as UAN. The EPFO generates and distributes UAN, and the Ministry of Labor and Employment of the government of India authenticates the number. Regardless of the number of jobs an individual changes throughout life, his/her UAN remains the same.
When an employee changes jobs, the EPFO issues a replacement member ID or EPF account linked to the UAN by giving UAN to the new employer. The link to UAN is always with the member ID, and the UAN essentially functions as a catch-all member ID for various member IDs given by multiple businesses.
How to activate a UAN number from your employer?
Generally, your employer will assign you a UAN by the EPFO. Some employers also publish the UAN on pay remainders using the UAN number or Member ID.
The UAN number can also be accessed online at the EPFO website. If your business cannot produce your UAN, the following steps should be followed.
- Step 1: Head to the EPF portal and go to the UAN gate.
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Know your UAN’ link. A posterior runner will appear.
- Step 3: Give your registered mobile number and the generated captcha for verification. Click on the ‘Request OTP’ button.
- Step 4: The portal will direct you to add your name, date of birth (DOB), PAN, Aadhaar, Member ID, and a captcha for verification. Click on the (Show my UAN button).
- Step 5: You will receive a message on your cell phone. Click the ‘Validate OTP and produce UAN’ button after entering the OTP.
- Step 6: The portal will add your mobile number to your UAN.
Documents Required to Open UAN
If an employee has recently started working in his/her first registered company, the following documents are to obtain your UAN.
- The account information includes the account number, IFSC code, and branch name.
- Any scannable public identity card, such as a driving licence, passport, namer ID, Aadhaar, and SSLC Book, qualifies as ID proof.
- Any IDs listed above, as long as it has your current address, including a recent utility bill in your name, a rental or lease agreement, a ration card, or any other document.
- UAN should be connected to your PAN
- Aadhaar card
- ESIC cards
How can I use my UAN to activate and log in to the EPFO member gate?
Use EPFO online to activate your UAN if you cannot check your PF balance.
- Step 1: Visit the EPFO homepage and select ‘For employees’ from the list of services on the dashboard.
- Step 2: Select Member UAN / Online services under Services. You will eventually reach the UAN gate.
- Step 3: Select ‘Activate UAN’ from the vital links list.
- Step 4: Enter the captcha characters, your UAN, member ID, PAN, or Aadhaar number, and your name, DOB, mobile number, and email address (if available). The Get authorisation PIN button should be clicked so that the PIN is delivered to your registered mobile number.
- Step 5: After selecting ‘I Agree’ beneath the disclaimer option, input the OTP you just received on your mobile device and click ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’. When your UAN is active on the cellphone number you have provided as your registration, you will receive a password for your account.
How are Aadhaar and UAN linked?
You must enter your data in UAN after logging into your EPF account. To connect your UAN to Aadhaar, follow the instructions:
- Step 1: Enter the EPFO portal, select ‘For Employees,’ then click ‘UAN Member e-Sewa.’
- Step 2: To sign into the portal, enter your UAN, password, and captcha.
- Step 3: Click ‘KYC’ on the top panel’s ‘Manage’ tab.
- Step 4: To save the information, choose the Aadhaar checkbox, then input your 12-digit Aadhaar number and name.
- Step 5: Your information will appear in the ‘Pending KYC’ tab when you submit. When the employer approves, it will appear under the ‘Approved KYC’ tab (Approval generally takes 15 days).
Visit any EPFO branch or Aadhaar Common Service Center to complete the offline process of linking Aadhaar to UAN. You must send a request form and a self-attested copy of the member’s Aadhaar card to the branch. On completion of verification, a confirmation notification will be sent to the registered mobile number.
Since its founding in 1952, EPFO has advanced considerably. UAN is one of many improvements and provides a social security service and simplifies settling EPF claims.
Features of UAN
- UAN ensures centralisation of employee data.
- UAN reduces the burden on employers and businesses by the EPF organisation’s employment verification process.
- Using this account, EPFO can obtain the member’s bank account information and KYC without the assistance of the employers.
- Tracking and employees’ numerous employment changes becomes easy for EPFO.
- Since the establishment of UAN, the number of early and unlawful withdrawals from EPF has drastically decreased.
Benefits to Employees Because of UAN
- All new PF accounts linked to new jobs will be consolidated into a single, unified account.
- PF can be easily withdrawn (all or partially) using this number.
- Employees can transfer their PF amount from one account to another account using this specific account number.
- Employees can check in with your Member ID for UAN or send an SMS any time to receive a PF statement (visa purpose, loan security).
- Future employers need not verify your profile if your UAN has already been Aadhaar and KYC validated.
- Employers cannot access or withhold PF funds belonging to their employees.
How to Get an EPF UAN?
The employer must perform the following procedures to generate a new UAN for the employee:
- Use the ID and password to log in to the employer’s EPF portal.
- Click the register individual tab in the member section.
- Enter the employee’s information, including Aadhaar, PAN, bank information, among others.
- Accept all information in the ‘Approval’ section.
- The employer can link the employee’s PF account to the new UAN that is generated by EPFO.
How Do I Change My UAN Password?
- Go to the EPF portal to access the login page
- Select the ‘Forgot Password’ link
- Type in your UAN
- Enter the captcha code
- Your registered mobile number will receive the ‘OTP’.
- Enter the received OTP
- Choose ‘Submit’ from the menu
- Change the password.
How to Download UAN Cards Online?
If you have a current EPF number, you can quickly download your UAN card by following the instructions below. Before logging into the EPFO site, ensure you have a valid UAN and password.
- The Member e-Sewa page asks you to enter your UAN number.
- Along with the Captcha Code information shown, enter your password.
- To access the EPF account page, select ‘Sign in’.
- Choose ‘UAN Card’ from the list of options under ‘View’.
- The portal will then display the card associated with your account on the page.
- You can download a soft copy of your UAN card or print a hard copy for future use by selecting ‘Download’ from the menu options in the top right corner of your screen.
How can I update my mobile number on the EPFO website?
- Step 1: Check out the EPFO webpage. Click on ‘For Employees’ in the ‘Our Services’ section of the page.
- Step 2: Next, select the ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’ option found in the ‘Services’ menu.
- Step 3: To sign in, enter your UAN, password, and captcha
- Step 4: Next, select the ‘Manage’ tab and the ‘Contact Details’ option.
- Step 5: You can now modify your email address or mobile number. Choose ‘Change mobile no.’ from the menu.
- Step 6: Additional boxes will be displayed when you choose the ‘Change Mobile No’ option, and you will be asked two times for your new mobile number. Next, click ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- Step 7: Enter the OTP received on your new cell phone number and click ‘Submit’. After submitting your mobile number on the EPFO portal, the number will be updated.
Reasons behind updating your mobile number on the EPFO portal
- You can check your EPF balance by sending an SMS from your registered mobile number.
- You can check the status of your claim by using a registered mobile number.
- You will receive updates regarding contributions to your EPF account through SMS on the registered mobile number.
- A message will be issued to your registered cellphone number when the procedure of crediting the amount to your bank account commences for an EPF withdrawal.
- Transfer the EPF money from your old Member ID to your new Member ID after you submit the OTP delivered to your registered mobile number.
EPF is an effective method to save money for retirement. The development of online technologies has made transacting, updating personal information, and transferring EPF when changing jobs easy. Therefore, whether you register online or offline, your UAN is an asset.
We learned how to activate the UAN number. People can keep an account of all of their PF accounts in one place using a UAN number. UAN is universal, and it does need to be changed for different accounts. Moreover, hassle-free fund transfer can be achieved.
Where can I activate my UAN number?
It is simple to locate or become familiar with UAN without contacting the EPF office. Simply go to the unified member portal and click the ‘Know your UAN’ option in the bottom right corner of the page on the homepage. Next, provide the mobile number to receive the OTP.
Can contract workers register for a UAN and use internet services?
A company must produce UAN for each employee (with a salary of at least Rs 15,000) when it has 20 or more employees. After activation, UAN facilities are available to contractual and full-time staff alike.
I did not connect Aadhaar to UAN. Can I send money online?
If your Aadhaar is not linked to a UAN, you cannot make a fund transfer or request a PF withdrawal, and Aadhaar must be compulsorily linked with UAN.
My employment has changed. Do I need to reactivate my UAN?
UAN needs to be activated only once, and UAN reactivation is not necessary on changing jobs.
Do I have to pay a fee to register for a UAN?
No, UAN registration and activation are free.
Can I use a mobile app or SMS to activate UAN?
Currently, UAN cannot be activated using SMS. The Umang app or the EPF member portal should be used to complete the transaction online.
Who will assign you a UAN number?
The Employees' Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) develops and assigns this number. The Ministry of Labour and Employment provides this number.