The National Permit or All India Permit is a kind of registration that deals with the carriage of goods throughout India.
The Transport Department of each State Government provides National Permit for carrying goods throughout India legally.
Under fixed legal requirements, such as timely online payment of the requisite amount before the start of the voyage, the permit allows a vehicle to travel through Indian Union Territories and at least four other States in addition to the State in which the registration is issued.
Table of Contents
National permit online
The Transport Department of each State Government issues transporters with a “National Permit” or “All India Permit”, allowing them to carry the vehicles to transport goods across India.
State governments grant either a National or a State Permit for the transportation of commodities.
Requirement for a national permit
The vehicle holder must apply to the relevant State Regional Transport Authority to get a National Permit. The vehicle’s vintage for which a National Permit is urge constrained in many States, and only automobiles less than 12 years old are eligible for a national permit.
Required documents for a national permit
The required documentation is listed below to apply for a national permit:
- Vehicle registration certificate
- The vehicle’s fitness certificate
- Vehicle insurance certificate
- Proof that taxes have gotten paid to the home state for the current quarter
- National Permit Fee
- Demand draughts have a creation in the direction of the authorities designated about other states to pay composite taxes
- Payment of the appropriate green tax
Procedure for submitting applications
It is necessary to submit Forms 46 and 48 with the National Permit application. The Regional Transport Authority of the State where the vehicle is registered must receive these two forms and the necessary payment.
Following submission of the application to the State’s Regional Transport Authority and payment of the permit fee, the transport authority will upload relevant data National Permit website named Vahan. The data on this page is only accessible to transportation authorities, and the region is inaccessible to transporters.
How to apply for national permit online?
Since January 1, 2014, applicants can submit their online applications through the service website.
- A carrier can apply online if they have a current registration certificate for their vehicle or if they frequently utilise online service.
- For new vehicles, the online application must have a company by a registration certificate in the transporter’s name, a copy of the RC, and a copy of the driver’s licence.
How to check your vehicle’s national permit status?
- Step 1: Access the Parivahan Sewa website
- Step 2: Select “National Permit” from the navigation bar’s online services section
- Step 3: Enter your vehicle’s registration number and the ultimate five characters of your chassis number on the new page to which you’ll receive guidance.
Additionally, by entering the details mentioned on the Parivahan Sewa site, you can monitor and confirm the current State of your online National Permit payment.
India’s national permit fee structure
Depending on the type of vehicle, different national permits cost different amounts. In India, the general fee structure is as follows:
- Rs.2015 for five years for a light goods vehicle
- Rs.2515 for five years for heavy goods vehicle
The National Permit is valid for five years from the date of issuance unless it is special permission or a temporary permit issued in line with Section 87 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. After that, It is necessary to renew the all-India national permit; the renewal charge is the same as the one you paid at the time of the first issuance.
Guidelines for obtaining a national permit in India
Check the nation’s national permit regulations before applying for one for your vehicle. The two-wheeler rules differ from national permits for trucks and passenger vehicles travelling interstate. Following the National Permit System, the requirements to obtain national permission are as follows:
- A national India permit is provided for a minimum of four continuous states, which includes the home state, under rules 86 and 87 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
- A vehicle cannot be older than 12 years to qualify for a national permit. The maximum age to obtain a National Permit for a multi-axle vehicle is fifteen years.
- Requesting a national Vahan permit, forms 46 and 48 need to be delivered.
- After nine years from the date of issuance, a national motor cab permit expires. The National Permit for vehicles other than a motor cab expires after eight years.
- To update the permit, it is necessary to submit an application and the renewal fee 15 days before the permit’s expiration date.
- After receiving critical approval from the issuing authority, the permit holder may replace the vehicle covered by the permit with another vehicle belonging to the same category for four months.
The Transport Department of each State Government issues transporters with a sort of registration known as a “National Permit” or “All India Permit” that allows them to transport products across India. So, its essential for every vehicle to get National Permit to carry the goods legally.
How long is a national permit valid under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988?
Subject to the other provisions of this Act, a learner's permit obtained under this Act is valid for six months from the permit's issuance.
What distinguishes a national permit from an all-Indian permit?
A subcategory of All India Permit is National Permit. The State Transport Authority issues NP to any goods carrier, whereas AIP can get classified as a permit for taxis, buses, trucks, and other goods carriers.
Can I operate a vehicle in another Indian state?
A person is permitted to keep a vehicle for 12 months in a state other than the one in which it is registered under the MV Act, 1988.
In which section does the national permit cover?
Section 88 of the motor vehicle act,1989
What does a permit for all of India cost?
The transporter must make a combined payment of Rs. 15,000 via the Vahan site when the State Government Authorities input the data.